Learn more about foster care
- There are more than 16,000 children currently in foster care in Ohio.
- More than 26,700 children were in foster care at some point in 2018, up nearly 3,184 since the previous report in 2016.
- The cost of placing children in foster care increased $53 million during those two years to $384 million.
- Ohio has only 7,200 licensed foster homes.
- About 100,000 grandparents, including 9,400 in Franklin County, are raising grandchildren. The number of children in kinship care has increased by 47 percent since 2016.
Excerpts from "Ohio Child Welfare System in Crisis, Advocates Say," by Catherine Candisky, The Columbus Dispatch, March 29, 2019